Friday 27 February 2009

Promises...


Following on from my pancake post, we're obviously now in Lent, and whilst I am in no way religious, I must admit a certain puritan streak in me relishes opportunities to abstain, refrain etc.


I decided that I should give up packaging on vegetables for Lent. Every time I put out a bag of rubbish I feel a gulp of guilt, knowing that it doesn't just disappear when I drop it down the chute. And the main culprit in my rubbish bags must be packaging. Cutting out all packaging seems a little impossible so I thought I'd start with something I can do - packaging on vegetables. There are actually a wealth of places near me where I can buy loose veggies and put them straight in the carrier I bring along. So there we go, that's what I'll be doing. And how about you???

---

Incidentally, I read in one of the free papers the other day that my local council is running a green promises campaign this year. You go to their website - http://www.camden.gov.uk/ccm/themes/green-camden/green-promise/ - and sign up to a small step promise to make your life greener. Buying loose fruit and veg was on there, so I'm all signed up to that! Normally I think I would be sceptical about this kind of thing, but actually I think it's quite good. Promising something 'out loud' as it were does I think have much more of a hold over you than just taking a mental note of something you mean to do. And although most of their suggestions are quite standard (taking your own bags to the shops; changing to low energy bulbs) there's a few other little things you might not have considered. There'll be new promises introduced each month so you can go back and add another one, and they're encouraging people to send in reports and videos of how it's going. I, of course, will be reporting back here on my lenten promise...
Picture from http://myzerowaste.com/ , a family blog about trying to achieve zero waste

No comments:

Post a Comment